[Standards-JIG] Semantics of negative priority

Stephen Marquard scm at marquard.net
Thu Jan 13 07:36:18 UTC 2005

Hi,

I have a question about how servers should handle resources with
negative priority. According to my interpretation of XMPP-IM:

(a) A resource with negative priority is not eligible to receive
messages directed to the bare jid (user at domain) (XMPP-IM 11.1.4.1)

(b) Negative resources should receive presence stanzas:

"For presence stanzas other than those of type "probe", the server MUST
deliver the stanza to all available resources; for presence probes, the
server SHOULD reply based on the rules defined in Presence
ProbesPresence Probes." (XMPP-IM 11.1.4.2)

(c) The server should respond to presence probes on behalf of negative
resources:

"Else, if the contact has at least one available resource, the server
MUST reply to the presence probe by sending to the user the full XML of
the last presence stanza with no 'to' attribute received by the server
from each of the contact's available resources (again, subject to
privacy lists in force for each session)." (XMPP-IM 5.1.3.4)

(a) seems straightforward, but is my interpretation of (b) and (c)
correct, i.e. a resource with negative priority is considered an
"available" resource for presence purposes ?

What are negative priorities typically used for ?

Regards
Stephen