[Standards-JIG] Re: muc#roomconfig_presencebroadcast Configuration Options (JEP-0045)

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Thu Jan 13 20:23:37 UTC 2005

In article
<97B71C0C860DEC40A993AB9F7F0D4335015F17 at fattire.winfessor.com>,
 "JD Conley" <jconley at winfessor.com> wrote:

> The description of the muc#roomconfig presencebroadcast room
> configuration option is "Roles for which Presence is Broadcast."  It's
> not clear to me what exactly this field is attempting to accomplish.
>
> Is it simply that the roles not selected here will be hideden in the
> room?  So affected occupants would never appear to actually be in the
> room?  In this case if this value changes during a configuration set
> available/unavailable requests need to be sent accordingly in order to
> hide the appropriate occupants, correct?
>
> Also, what is the use case that drove this feature?

I don't remember. :-)

Actually I do. Let's say you have a huge moderated room in which there
is a panel discussion among some industry luminaries, and hundreds of
visitors who are hanging on every word. Most people in the room won't
care to know that occupant457 just went "xa". So in such rooms, presence
from mere visitors could be suppressed to save bandwidth.

The spec does not currently make fully clear whether this applies only
to availability changes or also to enter/exit presence stanzas. As far
as I understand the use case, it applies to both -- presence is sent
back to people who join or leave the room, but not broadcasted to all
participants. One consequence, naturally, is that people would not know
how big the crowd is, but that might be a small price to pay for the
bandwidth savings.

We had a thread about this many months ago -- I'm sure we can find it in
the archives if we google intelligently enough...

/psa