[Standards-JIG] Semantics of negative priority

Trejkaz trejkaz at trypticon.org
Fri Jan 14 14:59:24 UTC 2005

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 13:11, Maciek Niedzielski wrote:
> Stephen Marquard wrote:
> > What are negative priorities typically used for ?
>
> Negative priority prevents messages from being delivered to the
> resources that shouldn't get it.
> For example, all roster-modifying scripts (like JRU) should log in to
> your account with a negative priority. This way, even if JRU is the my
> only available resource, no messages would be delivered there.

I would have thought that such a roster modifying script wouldn't even need to
set its presence in the first place.  That issue of JRU has always been a bit
of a peeve of mine, particularly because Jabberd 1.4 doesn't honour negative
priorities... it was enough to drive me to write my own roster migration at
one point, one which didn't do this. :-)

But this would be useful for bots which _do_ need to receive presence
information from other users, and _do_ need to appear in other users'
rosters.  For instance, if I run a statistics bot to gather statistics on
other users' usage patterns, the best way to do that is to run the bot at -1
and leave it on 24/7.  Unless people send a message directly to the bot's
resource, it should be safe from messages even when it's the only one online
(the messages will queue up.)

Just not under Jabberd 1.4. ;-)

TX

--