[Standards-JIG] Re: Dead participants in MU-conf, JEP-0045

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Tue Jan 18 16:28:03 UTC 2005

In article <11D121AB355B69448D3A9F2132D2A3AA420409 at niobe.BlueHands.de>,
 "Heiner Wolf" <wolf at bluehands.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> >   A MUC service SHOULD remove a user if the service receives a
> >   delivery-related error in relation to a stanza it has previously
> >   sent to the user (remote server unreachable, user not found, etc.).
>
> Does this mean that any message-chat in the room should remove the user,
> if the user went offline without his server telling the room?

I don't understand your question. Let's say we have three people in a
room: Alice, Bob, and Carol. Carol goes offline ungracefully (trips over
the network cable or whatever) but she doesn't send unavailable presence
to the room or to her server, and her server doesn't detect that she
went offline for 5 minutes. So for those 5 minutes it still appears that
Carol is in the room (until her server figures out that she is offline
and sends unavailable presence to the room, per RFC 3921). Now, if
Carol's server is smarter, it may detect that she is offline sooner
(e.g., when it tries to deliver messages to her that are sent in the
room). So if Alice and Bob are chatting in the room and messages from
the room result in errors, then the room should remove Carol. I think
what is confusing me about your question is the term "message-chat"...