[Standards-JIG] Re: JEP-0060 (pubsub) node configuration

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Tue Jan 18 21:17:38 UTC 2005

In article <20050103193235.GA76996 at localhost>,
 Ralph Meijer <jabber.org at ralphm.ik.nu> wrote:

> I would suspect that leaf nodes and collection nodes might have different
> configuration options. It seems to me that there is no way to ask for the
> default configuration of a certain type.

What about passing the node type in with the configuration request?

That might feel a bit hackish, but it seems reasonable given that the
configuration options might differ quite a bit depending on the type of
node you're requesting.

Something like this?

<iq type="get"
    from="pgm at jabber.org"
    to="pubsub.jabber.org"
    id="config1">
  <pubsub xmlns="http://jabber.org/protocol/pubsub#owner">
    <configure node="generic/pgm-mp3-player"
               type="leaf"/>
  </pubsub>
</iq>

So the difference between, say, <configure type="collection"> and
<configure type="leaf"> would be sort of like the difference between
"mkdir" and "touch" in Unix. If the 'type' attribute is not specified,
it would default to "leaf".

> Another point that came to mind was that there might be configuration options
> that would only make sense on node creation time, like the choice for having
> a leaf or collection node. Could an implementation choose to send a different
> config form after node creation?

Sure, why not? We do that in MUC, so it seems reasonable to do it in
pubsub, too.

/psa