[Standards-JIG] Re: JEP-0060 (pubsub) node configuration

Ralph Meijer jabber.org at ralphm.ik.nu
Wed Jan 19 20:19:52 UTC 2005

On Tue, Jan 18, 2005 at 02:17:38PM -0700, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> In article <20050103193235.GA76996 at localhost>,
>  Ralph Meijer <jabber.org at ralphm.ik.nu> wrote:
>
> > I would suspect that leaf nodes and collection nodes might have different
> > configuration options. It seems to me that there is no way to ask for the
> > default configuration of a certain type.
>
> What about passing the node type in with the configuration request?

I like this. The type of node seems integral to the being of a node. You'd
never change it after creation, so maybe instead of a configuration option, we
should also add it to the <create/> element. That would also lift the
requirement of needing to supply a node configuration form for just creating a
collection.

This way it doesn't feel hackish to me.

Note that the attribute would only apply for the
  {http://jabber.org/protocol/pubsub#owner}configure
element and not for the
  {http://jabber.org/protocol/pubsub}configure
element.

> If the 'type' attribute is not specified, it would default to "leaf".

Yeah.

> > Another point that came to mind was that there might be configuration options
> > that would only make sense on node creation time, like the choice for having
> > a leaf or collection node. Could an implementation choose to send a different
> > config form after node creation?
>
> Sure, why not? We do that in MUC, so it seems reasonable to do it in
> pubsub, too.

I thought so.

--
Groetjes,