[Standards-JIG] Re: JEP-0060 (pubsub) node configuration

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Wed Jan 19 21:10:06 UTC 2005

In article <20050119201952.GC22317 at localhost>,
 Ralph Meijer <jabber.org at ralphm.ik.nu> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 18, 2005 at 02:17:38PM -0700, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> > In article <20050103193235.GA76996 at localhost>,
> >  Ralph Meijer <jabber.org at ralphm.ik.nu> wrote:
> >
> > > I would suspect that leaf nodes and collection nodes might have different
> > > configuration options. It seems to me that there is no way to ask for the
> > > default configuration of a certain type.
> >
> > What about passing the node type in with the configuration request?
>
> I like this. The type of node seems integral to the being of a node. You'd
> never change it after creation, so maybe instead of a configuration option,
> we
> should also add it to the <create/> element. That would also lift the
> requirement of needing to supply a node configuration form for just creating
> collection.
>
> This way it doesn't feel hackish to me.
>
> Note that the attribute would only apply for the
>   {http://jabber.org/protocol/pubsub#owner}configure
> element and not for the
>   {http://jabber.org/protocol/pubsub}configure
> element.

Actually, I think you're right: this is more appropriate as an attribute
of the <create/> element, since create time is when it's important to
differentiate between leaves and collections -- once a node exists, it
exists with a certain type (leaf or collection) and you won't need to
tell the service what kind of node you're (re-)configuring.

/psa