[Standards-JIG] Re: Syntax for forwarding messages

Stephen Marquard scm at marquard.net
Thu Jan 20 05:11:56 UTC 2005

Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
 > So 'oto' is the original "to" address and 'ofrom' is the original "from"
 > address?
 >
 > /psa

Though please can we have some mechanism to detect & prevent forwarding
loops, e.g. jid A is set to autoforward to jid B, which is set to
autoforward to jid A.

There needs to be a forwarding history in the message (with each
forwarding action adding a new entry) and/or a hop count. Servers should
stop forwarding and bounce the message (or take other action) when the
hop count exceeds a certain threshold and/or a forwarding loop is detected.

The email equivalent is to check the number of Received: lines (in most
SMTP servers) or use unstandardised header extensions like X-Loop:.

Regards
Stephen