[Standards-JIG] Re: Live Chat extension to Chat States (JEP-0085)

Heiner Wolf wolf at bluehands.de
Wed Jan 26 17:56:40 UTC 2005

>Well, I don't think it's impossible to do it inband. It shouldn't be. The
>idea behind Jabber used to be, keep it simple for the client, XML based,
>client-server. If you suddenly get disconnected from servers because of
>"karma" or whatever it'll be called, that's a problem Jabber has with flow
>control. Solution should be better flow control. If it costs too much data
>traffic because the XML is too bloated, then this is a problem with the
>way Jabber uses XML. Solution should be reducing that.. in your case the
>stanzas send are nearly identical so there's a potential for insane
>compression rates there.

Yes.

In LLuna I send always the complete text as updates. Not every character, but timer and length based. It is barely karma compliant. Traffic looks crazy, see example below. This is really insane. You can argue about sending the complete text, but the XML-envelope is always there and it makes up the major part.

The real solution is to compress the entire stream. That would reduce the big redundant XML-envelope to a small symbol and also the repeated parts of the payload. A compressed version of this example would be dominated by the new payload characters. HTTP finally managed to compress payload after years. We should do the same.

I implemented this in a simple-stupid fashion, because I was hoping for compressed Jabber to remove redundancy. Would be far better than implementing OOB streams or special text compression for live chat or even special message types with shorter tag names.

hw
--
Dr. Klaus H. Wolf
bluehands GmbH & Co.mmunication KG