[Standards-JIG] JEP-0138 Compression Enhancements

Matthias Wimmer m at tthias.net
Sun Mar 6 22:34:59 UTC 2005

Hi Justin!

Justin Karneges schrieb am 2005-03-06 13:31:07:
> I think the idea is to tell the server what compression level to use, which
> the client wouldn't otherwise have control over.

Well ... but for the compression algorithms I know, there is only a
difference in the needed computing power of the compression levels for
the compressing host. Normally it's just a setting, that changes how big
the blocks are, that are checked for data patterns being contained twice
(and don't need to be stored a second time, just a pointer is stored
then). As well as maybe influencing how many data is used to generate
the codebooks.
But on the decompressing side, this doesn't make any difference in
needed computing power / battery time.

Tot kijk
    Matthias
--