[Standards-JIG] RE: Timed presence events

Ralph Meijer jabber.org at ralphm.ik.nu
Tue Mar 8 11:02:36 UTC 2005

On Tue, Mar 08, 2005 at 11:28:29AM +0100, Jean-Louis Seguineau wrote:
> [..]
>
> My question was more targeted at the protocol level. There are other
> contexts where having a way to indicate the time boundary of a status, or an
> activity, are precious. And this information may be applied to other
> application than just the interactive IM.
>
> As an additional example, we have a way of expressing a user's activity. In
> certain circumstances, we may want to add time related information:
>
> <activity xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/activity'>
>   <relaxing>
>     <partying/>
>     <valid xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/something'
>        from='2002-09-10T20:41:07'
>        to='2002-09-10T23:41:07'/>
>   </relaxing>
>   <text xml:lang='en'>My nurse's birthday!</text>
> </activity>

Right, for a few Extended Presence features, this would be very useful. I
will discuss with stpeter, how to best go about it, but your example is
good candidate.

I don't believe we should want this for normal availability (using
<presence/>). You availability should be set by the client, not automagically
at some time in the future. If I am not there, I am not there.

--
Groetjes,

Ralphm