[Standards-JIG] jep-0142 and a city council workgroup

Chris Fanning christopher.fanning at gmail.com
Tue Mar 15 12:42:38 UTC 2005

Hello all,

I posed a question on the jadmin list where I was kindly put onto jep-0142
http://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/jadmin/2005-March/020494.html

I don't have xmpp knowledge and my jabber experience is minimal. I
setup a jabber server on a WAN/Intranet a couple of years ago and
haven't touched it since (it still works and gets used a lot!).

jep-0124 looks very good indeed.
I'd like to get a basic idea of the setup requirements to help me
argue in favor of a possible collaboration between council and free
software developers.

0142 talks about roles. http://www.jabber.org/jeps/jep-0142.html#roles
Would it be reasonable to divide the development into three seperate efforts?
1. user client: web (perhaps stem from http://jwchat.sourceforge.net/ ?)
This is perhaps better only as simple interface as not to confuse the public.

2. service: this is a jabber server, right?
I'm at a loss here because of my lack of jabber knowhow.
It could be put behind the corporate firewall letting port 80 inside
from the web.

3. agent client: desktop application (stem from psi?)
Mutliplatform for future gnu/desktop migration.

I see a lot of work here. For example, the agent client needs to fit
in with the council's end-users requirements and the jep has some
MAY's that seem to make client specification one of the first steps to
be attended.
Another requirement may be that the end product be sufficiently
generic to make it useful for others in the community.

What scope would this project have? Is it just simply out of the
question? On the wrong track? Technologically inmature? Worth looking
into?

Any orientation would be welcome.

Chris.