[Standards-JIG] User display extended presence

Bart van Bragt jabber at vanbragt.com
Wed Mar 16 19:59:12 UTC 2005

Jean-Louis Seguineau wrote:
> Other IM protocols are providing a way for a user to 'hint' another user
> what its display name, and often icon representation, should be.

But isn't that supposed to be in the vCard or some other fairly static
repository of personal information?

IMO a nickname really doesn't need PubSub. You use a nickname once when
adding someone to your roster, after that you don't want to have the
person on the other side change their nick on your roster every other day.

With MSN it's trivial to change your Display Name (or whatever it's
called) and lots of people abuse that to convey status information. They
want you to be aware of the fact that they bought a new car, got their
drivers licence, went to a concert, etc, etc. But isn't that what the
status message is for? 99% of the people I know hate the fact that a lot
of people don't even put their own name into the 'display name' anymore.
So one user can be called 'Bought a new car!' on monday and then he'll
be 'Went to the Cheeky Girls last night!' on wednesday.

IMO it would be better if you would see something like:

'Bob - Bought a new car'

in your roster. Lots of Jabber clients already do that. IMO abusing the
nickname to convey status information is a Bad Idea. The MSNM transport
sets the Jabber status to the Display Name of MSNM users. User
icons/avatars are a different matter, but IIRC there is already a JEP
(or even several JEPs) for that? :)

Bart