[Standards-JIG] User display extended presence

Richard Dobson richard at dobson-i.net
Thu Mar 17 00:36:02 UTC 2005

> My question is: how frequently will someone's preferred nick change?
> I've had the same IM nick for 5 years, but maybe I'm old and stodgy.
> Will people want to change their nick every 5 minutes or whatever?

Of course not everybody will, but some people do, and im not saying that on
MSN some people dont "abuse" the display name option because they have no
other option, but from my experience an equal if not greater number of
people do change their nick relatively frequently with text that is not
really relevant to their actual status which is what I would argue status is
really intended for, also of course not everyone will want to receive these
prefered nickname updates, but we are not suggesting we force it on anyone
or make anything manditory, only people who want it will get it, for this
reason I find it very confusing that some people are so against it, also I
find it confusing that some cant accept that people want this functionaility
or that it might be useful for them, why cant we just give it to the people
who want it??, its not like its being forced on anyone.

This along with voice chat, avatars and webcam stuff are features (among
others) which I regularly hear from users saying they dont see the point in
switching to jabber until it supports it as a standard feature, they see
these lackings as jabber being way behind the times. If we really do want to
make jabber a system that we want to get more users to switch to we need to
listen to these requests and implement them.

Richard