[Standards-JIG] Extended user info updates (VCard+)

Bart van Bragt jabber at vanbragt.com
Thu Mar 17 11:55:38 UTC 2005

Ralph Meijer wrote:
>   - How do present all these different snippets of information to a user?
>   - How can a user change his own extended presence information *easily*?

These are my main issues with the current proposals. From a purely
academic POV it's great to separate activity ('lunchbreak'), situation
('bought a new car'), mood ('happy') and whatnot. But where does the
normal status message fit in? And besides that there is also the
nickname and the usericon.

At my university there has been some research about IM and privacy
issues. Also other research (and day to day experience) shows that
people are way too lazy to keep all this information up to date. Besides
that I don't really see where the current status message fits in with
the new JEP, useractivity, etc. And where do you want to show all this
information? 4 lines of text and icons for one contact in your roster
sounds like overkill to me ;)

One of the charms (IMO) of Jabber is the fact that it's a fairly simple,
transparant protocol. Adding 5 ways to convey status/presence
information mainly amounts to lots of confusion. Besides that I don't
think that many (if any?) clients have implemented the
usermood/useractivity JEPs yet, so why would we add yet another way to
make even more information available that (IMO) people are not going to
use in day to day life?

I guess the main problem for me is that I don't see the
distinction/added value of all the extended presence and it's relation
to the 'normal' status message.

People are already confused about the distinction between Free For Chat
vs Online and Away vs Extended Away. Adding even more options (activity,
mood, etc) is not going to help to make Jabber as a whole more usable.
At least it isn't for Aunt Tilly ;) I know I don't want to press more
than 2 buttons to change my 'status/presence', but maybe I'm just lazy :D

Bart