[Standards-JIG] User display extended presence

Jean-Louis Seguineau jean-louis.seguineau at laposte.net
Thu Mar 17 12:22:42 UTC 2005

Bart wrote:

> But isn't that supposed to be in the vCard or some other fairly static
> repository of personal information?

That statement pre-supposes that the other party is hosted on an IM system
providing access to a vCard repository. This is not a given outside XMPP...

> IMO a nickname really doesn't need PubSub. You use a nickname once when
> adding someone to your roster, after that you don't want to have the
> person on the other side change their nick on your roster every other day.

This is a respectable opinion. But my listening to customer request tells me
otherwise... The enterprise has different requirements than 'public' IMs,
which you seems to refer to. And, we like it or not, in the enterprise, we
are bound to see MSFT around for some more time. Their LCS server does not
provide a vCard access but sends a display name in the presence.

> ... IMO abusing the nickname to convey status information is a Bad Idea.

My question was initially related to the XMPP protocol. I would not dare
comment about what people are doing of the 'liberty' they are given (after
all this is a free country :)

Once again, I have no problem coming up with a proprietary extension. I just
thought that might be of interest to others.

Jean-Louis