[Standards-JIG] User display extended presence

Jean-Louis Seguineau jean-louis.seguineau at laposte.net
Thu Mar 17 12:41:36 UTC 2005

Peter wrote:

> We currently have nick support in vCard. Do we need something that
> enables a user to change their preferred nick more regularly?

As I stated in another post, we cannot pre-suppose that every contact in
one's roster is hosted on an XMPP server (unfortunately, but we have to be
realist :) Although the argument is valid in an XMPP only world, we may have
to acknowledge this may be different elsewhere. In such condition, I do not
believe using vCard is the right approach to convey dynamically provided
information. And I do not believe there is a fundamental antagonism between
the two approaches (vCard for static information, other for dynamic one).

> My question is: how frequently will someone's preferred nick change?
> I've had the same IM nick for 5 years, but maybe I'm old and stodgy.
> Will people want to change their nick every 5 minutes or whatever?

With all due respect, I'm probably as old and stodgy as you are, and using
my nickname for an equally long time :) In an enterprise, you may not want
to change your nickname every 5mn or so, but an admin may be required to do
so for you... You willing or not.
Once again the point is about protocol. Because there are cases that are not
entirely covered by existing JEPs (or maybe I'm so old I'm getting
blind...), and usages that may not have existed before.

Jean-Louis