[Standards-JIG] User display extended presence

Jean-Louis Seguineau jean-louis.seguineau at laposte.net
Thu Mar 17 14:00:19 UTC 2005

Hi Matthias

Do you mean the gateway would use the vCard protocol format to convey the
information, or do you mean the gateway would create a vCard entry for a
remote user?

I have no particular objection to using the the vCard protocol format, can
you elaborate if this is your idea?
As to the second option, I do not believe this is either practical (gateway
being hosted in many cases outside the firewall will have to use some in
band update protocol - vCard probably - to create the entry, and will have
to handle the vCard requests from an XMPP client, which makes it a
sophisticated gateway) nor very scalable (in a large distributed
implementation the vCard storage will grow exponentially)

> (With this statement I don't comment anything other in this topic.)
;)

Best

Jean-Louis