[Standards-JIG] Extended user info updates

Julian Missig julian at jabber.org
Thu Mar 17 14:15:01 UTC 2005

Jean-Louis,

I've been studying the research on Computer-Mediated Communication in
HCI and Social Psychology for a couple of months now, and I have to
say that I do *not* trust telcos to know what they're talking about.

AT&T and associates have been trying to push videophones for *three
decades* (first commercial PicturePhone was available in Pittsburgh
in 1970, most recent *huge* push was in 1992 with the Videophone
2500) without much success. The CMC research showed that videophones
have very little value over regular audio for completing work-like
tasks (i.e., corporate environment), and sure enough, even the
corporations which adopted videophones eventually dropped them in
favor of regular phones. The CMC researchers had difficulty getting
their own research team to consistently use such things after the
novelty wore off. (Now, that's not to say that videochat in and of
itself is worthless--I'm sure that implemented correctly it will
catch on in the right markets--but the videophones telcos have been
making for the corporate market have obviously not been on-target.)

It's going to take a lot more than telcos getting behind something to
convince me that users actually /need/ it.

With all due respect, telcos are not always right. No one is.

That said, my greater point is that right now the interfaces for
<status> may not be good enough if MSN users are complaining that
they need this nickname-changing functionality.

Julian