[Standards-JIG] Re: Extended user info updates

Jean-Louis Seguineau jean-louis.seguineau at laposte.net
Thu Mar 17 15:25:04 UTC 2005

Hi Julian,

I am heartily agreeing 1000 percent with your statement about telcos, and I
am not chocked by your position. I have not been studying CMC, but I have
probably been around longer than you have :(, and I cannot recall all the
misconceptions and born(or brain)-dead projects this particular industry has
been responsible for.

But, I am in business (sorry...) and telcos are part of my customers. And
whatever you may say, a customer is king, even when it is not right :)

And if you read me, you'll certainly notice that I never stated that user
needed 'needed' certain feature. Nor that telcos were right in forcing these
same features to users. I was stating the fact that, they, telcos (and other
industry) wanted these feature. This is a business fact.
You can buy a Corvette that does 160 mph, and be limited to 80mph on the
motorway. So what' the point, but you find people buying it. No one owns the
whole truth, but no one is entirely rational either.

This academic discussion is taking us far from XMPP isn't it ;) All because
I wanted a standardized way to transport display name from a gateway to a
client...

Jean-Louis