Gateways (was: [Standards-JIG] User display extended presence)

Matthias Wimmer m at tthias.net
Fri Mar 18 00:05:29 UTC 2005

Hi Jean-Louis,

Jean-Louis Seguineau schrieb am 2005-03-17 15:00:19:
> Do you mean the gateway would use the vCard protocol format to convey the
> information, or do you mean the gateway would create a vCard entry for a
> remote user?

The gateway should if possible try to query the information to create
the vcard response when the vcard is requested. Sure this only works if
the information can be requested at this time.
If the information is part of the presence of the other user and
presences are only pushed at the foreign network and can't be queried,
then the gateway has to cache the presences for gatewayed users. - Not
only to generate vcards ... it would already be necessary to be able to
respond to presence probe queries.

> I have no particular objection to using the the vCard protocol format, can
> you elaborate if this is your idea?
> As to the second option, I do not believe this is either practical (gateway
> being hosted in many cases outside the firewall will have to use some in
> band update protocol - vCard probably - to create the entry, and will have
> to handle the vCard requests from an XMPP client, which makes it a
> sophisticated gateway) nor very scalable (in a large distributed
> implementation the vCard storage will grow exponentially)

I think, the vcards shouldn't be stored whenever possible but created on
demand. If this is not possible ... indeed it has to be cached but only
for the users using the gateway at this time and probably the cached
information would have to be kept in this case anyway.

(Again: this message does not comment on how "nicks" - or how you would
call what is discussed - should be made available to Jabber. It just
comments on how I'd implement vcard support in a gateway from the
XMPP/Jabber world to another IM system. Well I don't comment because I
don't completely like any of the suggestes solutions so far and don't
have something that I'd like either.)

Tot kijk
    Matthias

--