[Standards-JIG] Re: RFC Errata / discrepancy rfc 3920 sec. 4.4. and sec. 8.3. (2)

Ralph Meijer jabber.org at ralphm.ik.nu
Fri Mar 18 14:02:08 UTC 2005

On Fri, Mar 18, 2005 at 02:35:16PM +0100, Ulrich Staudinger wrote:
> Hi,
>
> while investigating some strange problems together with Matthias we
> found a possible discrepancy between RFC 3920 sec. 4.4.  and sec. 8.3.

First of all, the appropriate forum for these RFCs is the xmppwg at jabber.org
mailinglist. Crossposting there.

> In 4.4. the  to Attribute is stated as "SHOULD" , in sec. 8.3. the to
> Attribute is states as OPTIONAL.

Section 4 describes XML streams in general. Section 8 is about Server
dialback, which uses XML streams. In the protocol outlined in section 8,
the value of the 'to' attribute is not used. Instead, in steps 8, 9 and 10,
the servers exchange their hostnames.

So, for XML streams /in general/, you SHOULD use the 'to' attribute. For
server to server connections it is not needed: OPTIONAL.

> Is this is a problem in the terming or is this alright ?

The latter.

--
Groetjes,

ralphm