[Standards-JIG] Anyone ideas on a telemetry JEP?

Jesse avldude at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 18 20:37:10 UTC 2005

Hello, all!

I discovered XMPP a few weeks ago and have been greedily soaking up the
information about the protocol.  My company makes automatic vehicle
location systems and remote diagnostics systems for cars and trucks. I'd
like to be able to publish data from a vehicle running an embedded
computer with an attached cell phone.  Data would include things like
location, sensor output and "Check Engine" light status.

XMPP was very attractive due to the large number of clients and language
  bindings available.  I could put the vehicle location on a web-based
map with PHP and have broken-down vehicles linked to XMPP clients on my
service technician's Palm based phones.

I'm planning to store the information as "extended presence" information
via pubsub.  I'm planning on using the geoloc JEP (JEP-0080) to handle
the location information.

My question is:

Has anyone proposed a JEP for storing telemetry-style information,
specifically a schema to store temperatures, speeds and meta data
information about them?  If not, I'd like to take a crack at it.

Only as clarification, I'm thinking of something like (off the cuff):

<iq type='set'
     from='portia at merchantofvenice.lit'
     to='pubsub.shakespeare.lit'
     id='publish1'>
     <publish node='sensor1/light'>
       <item id='a1s2d3f4g5h6bjeh936'>
         <dataPoint xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/dataPoint'>
           <value>12</value>
           <unit>lumens</unit>
           <description>light sensor pointed through yonder
window</description>
         </dataPoint>
       </item>
     </publish>
   </pubsub>
</iq>

By using pubsub, the vehicle doesn't need to be turned on for the client
to get the information.  Also, by using pubsub, the solution should be
scaleable, in that no single user is wasting my cell phone's bandwith.

Whadda you all think?

-Jesse