[Standards-JIG] Re: Anyone ideas on a telemetry JEP?

Jesse avldude at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 18 21:25:56 UTC 2005

Maciek Niedzielski wrote:
> Jesse wrote:
>
>><unit>lumens</unit>
>

> You'd have to provide a list of acceptable units with their meaning. In
> other case, if it's a natural-language unit-name, it would be impossible
> to use this information.

True.  I'd imagine incorporating a list of the common SI units in the
schema.    Something like from
http://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Units/units.html.  Of course, we spell metre
a little strange here in the US, but I'd think that since this would be
primarily for machine to machine work, you could agree on a certain
spelling.   A clever way to handle prefixes ("mili", "kilo", etc..) may
be necessary as well.

Also, one thing that I've learned as an engineer, is that you will
always have something that doesn't fit into the plan.  Adding a generic
"units" unit to the list could imply that unit translation would be
meaningless.  A few other units to cover switch or lamp states
("ON/OFF") and percentages could would also be useful.

-Jesse