[Standards-JIG] User display extended presence

Robert Mibus mibus at internode.on.net
Fri Mar 18 23:40:38 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-03-17 at 13:41 +0100, Jean-Louis Seguineau wrote:

> Peter wrote:
>
> > We currently have nick support in vCard. Do we need something that
> > enables a user to change their preferred nick more regularly?
>
> As I stated in another post, we cannot pre-suppose that every contact in
> one's roster is hosted on an XMPP server (unfortunately, but we have to be
> realist :) Although the argument is valid in an XMPP only world, we may have
> to acknowledge this may be different elsewhere. In such condition, I do not
> believe using vCard is the right approach to convey dynamically provided
> information. And I do not believe there is a fundamental antagonism between
> the two approaches (vCard for static information, other for dynamic one).
>
> > My question is: how frequently will someone's preferred nick change?
> > I've had the same IM nick for 5 years, but maybe I'm old and stodgy.
> > Will people want to change their nick every 5 minutes or whatever?

You haven't been on MSN lately ;-)

Many many MSN addicts change their "display name" - what is shown in
other user's buddy lists - very frequently, ranging from once every hour
or two, up to once a week. IMHO it'd be wasteful to use vCards - large
overhead, you need to poll, etc.

While pubsub is probably overkill, to me it's either that or
<presence>... but then we'd have a big argument to broadcast JEP-0084
stuff in presence too :-)

FWIW the current MSN gateway can set the MSN display names to appear in
the "status" part of the presence.

(BTW, I'm not really for or against them, just commenting on current
use)

Robert.

--
mibus <mibus at internode.on.net>