[Standards-JIG] proto-JEP: Time Periods

Ralph Meijer jabber.org at ralphm.ik.nu
Mon Mar 21 09:34:20 UTC 2005

On Thu, Mar 17, 2005 at 02:56:48PM -0600, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 17, 2005 at 02:54:09PM -0600, JEP Editor wrote:
> > The JEP Editor has received a proposal for a new JEP.
> >
> > Title: Time Periods
> >
> > Abstract: This proposal defines how to specify time periods for events and states communicated in XMPP and XMPP extensions.

> That's all I had time for today and I have some other stuff to crank
> out, so I figured I would publish what I had. Comments welcome as
> always.

Good beginning, but I dislike all examples :-)

In general, I think that sending along a start time for presence, and extended
presence sent using pubsub with an ItemID of 'current' makes little sense. We
are dealing with a near-realtime communication medium. I can think of two
exceptions:

 - Notifications that are delivered some time after the actual publish, but
   this would be something that could be changed by resp. the server and pubsub
   service. Of course, jabber:x:delay comes into mind here as well.

 - Automatic away/xa. One could use timeperiod for conveying the beginning of
   inactivity (which is before sending the presence!).

For pubsub, I think I'd like it better if this extension would be a direct
child of the <item/>.

--
Groetjes,

ralphm