[Standards-JIG] Re: Council decision on "Stanza Acking" proposal

Trejkaz trejkaz at trypticon.org
Sat Mar 26 03:18:04 UTC 2005

> Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
>> IMHO, devices that cannot maintain long-lived TCP connections should use
>> a different stream binding (i.e., the HTTP binding defined in JEP-0124).
>> And it seems to me that before a notebook computer switches to hibernate
>> mode, it should be able to inform applications of that fact, so that a
>> a Jabber client can end its session gracefully. Making modifications at
>> the stream level in order to compensate for poorly written clients does
>> not strike me as a good idea.

If TCP is the only binding which suffers this issue, and HTTP is clearly too
inefficient for mobile devices, maybe it's time to draw up a UDP binding?  A
UDP binding would need a lot of this delivery confirmation stuff anyway, to
provide a little reliability for datagrams.

That being said, how many people would use UDP if either of the other two
options were available?

I gather there isn't any way in TCP to know how much of your stream has been
consumed at the other end.  That would make it far too easy to solve,
wouldn't it...

On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 09:05, Bart van Bragt wrote:
> Well, what do we think is acceptable? 1 out of 100 messages getting
> dropped? 1 in 1000? 1 in a million? IMO 1 in a million is starting to
> get close and I wouldn't be surprised if the current drop rate would be
> on or two orders of magnitude higher than that. But, indeed, I don't
> have hard numbers. But there is also no evidence of this being 'just an
> edge case' either :)

I have it happen quite often, as my TCP connection is over an SSH tunnel, and
when the tunnel goes down, all messages from Psi through the tunnel go into
the black hole.  Psi doesn't know the connection is down because the socket
stays open until I notice it's down, kill it and reconnect.

TX

--
             Email: Trejkaz Xaoza <trejkaz at trypticon.org>
          Web site: http://trypticon.org/