[Standards-JIG] Re: Council decision on "Stanza Acking" proposal

Ralph Meijer jabber.org at ralphm.ik.nu
Sat Mar 26 09:16:49 UTC 2005

On Sat, Mar 26, 2005 at 02:19:50PM +1100, Trejkaz wrote:
> On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 09:14, Tijl Houtbeckers wrote:
> > Another "trick" is sending those ping "whitespaces". This is of course not
> > official protocol either and it has it's own set of problems (eg. how do
> > you know wether a space is a "ping" or a "pong"?).
>
> In a way it's worse than that.  If a client receives a space, it is under no
> obligation whatsoever to reply to it.  The parser is in fact supposed to
> ignore it.  So all spaces are pings. :-)

If I understood correctly, sending spaces is to 'wake up' the TCP connection.
If the connection went down without you knowing, if you try to send space
(which then fails) will let the application know that the TCP connection
has indeed died. If you don't send these spaces every now and then, the
connection just appears to be up until the usual TCP timeout, which can
be minutes.

There is no need to respond to these spaces.

--
Groetjes,

ralphm