[Standards-JIG] Re: Council decision on "Stanza Acking" proposal

Jacek Konieczny jajcus at bnet.pl
Sat Mar 26 16:52:50 UTC 2005

On Fri, Mar 25, 2005 at 06:02:45PM -0700, David Waite wrote:
> If the problem is not knowing whether a message arrived or not, the
> solution is not a hop-to-hop keepalive/ping/acknowledgement, but
> end-to-end acknowledgement of message receipt.

end-to-end acknowledgement may cause a lot of privacy problems. If the
recipient wants to be "invisible" sometimes, than he cannot enable e2e
acknowledges at all.

> Knowing that my message
> got to my local server tells me nothing about whether the message got
> to the final recipient.

But it tells you that your c2s connection is still alive, that your
server's information about your presence is OK, etc. It is much more
than we have now.

IMHO we need stanza ACKing, and IMHO the best way to standarize it is
a JEP.

Greets,
	Jacek