[Standards-JIG] changes to JEP-0138 (Stream Compression)?

Stephen Pendleton spendleton at movsoftware.com
Sun Mar 27 15:47:35 UTC 2005

>> Point taken about zlib. However the overall issue is that the current
>> proposal limits the implementation to zlib. Perhaps the JEP could be
>> rewritten to be more flexible. At this point though I would be willing
>> to test against any server implementation that is out there. Maybe zlib
is
>> the
>> only choice we need. If anyone has added this to a server please let me
>> know.

>You can just add other <method>s can't you? I expect to see
>implementations for XML specific compression or encoding in the future as
>well. They'd work with this too...

I suppose you could add other methods. It does say this in the JEP, which I
missed, presumably by adding other <method> stanzas:

<stream:features>
  <starttls xmlns='urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:xmpp-tls'/>
  <compression xmlns='http://jabber.org/features/compress'>
    <method>zlib</method>
    <method>foozip</method>
  </compression>
</stream:features>

Now my only real issue is that if the future compression methods used
require parameters, or further negotiation, then the current JEP isn't
flexible enough to handle them. However I can't think of any that do - so
that may not be an issue.