[Standards-JIG] changes to JEP-0138 (Stream Compression)?

Joe Hildebrand hildjj at gmail.com
Mon Mar 28 18:15:33 UTC 2005

I'd be happy to add feature negotiation, if I could think of a use
case to write examples for.  If we can't find a concrete example, then
the negotiation can be handled on a per-compression-scheme basis, and
specified in the spec for that compression scheme.

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 17:52:59 +0200, Tijl Houtbeckers
<thoutbeckers at splendo.com> wrote:

> > is
> >
> >> You can just add other <method>s can't you? I expect to see
> >> implementations for XML specific compression or encoding in the future
> >> as
> >> well. They'd work with this too...
> >
> > I suppose you could add other methods. It does say this in the JEP,
> > which I
> > missed, presumably by adding other <method> stanzas:
> >
> > <stream:features>
> >   <starttls xmlns='urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:xmpp-tls'/>
> >   <compression xmlns='http://jabber.org/features/compress'>
> >     <method>zlib</method>
> >     <method>foozip</method>
> >   </compression>
> > </stream:features>
> >
> > Now my only real issue is that if the future compression methods used
> > require parameters, or further negotiation, then the current JEP isn't
> > flexible enough to handle them. However I can't think of any that do - so
> > that may not be an issue.
>
> You could either put the parameter in "method" name as you orginally
> suggested. You also do (yet another) stream renegotiation, as described in
> the JEP for such a new method. Perhaps a generic way of using FNEG could
> be described in such a JEP as well.

Joe Hildebrand