[Standards-JIG] UPDATED: JEP-0084 (User Avatars)

Jacek Konieczny jajcus at bnet.pl
Wed Mar 30 08:08:30 UTC 2005

On Tue, Mar 29, 2005 at 07:53:49PM +0200, Heiner Wolf wrote:
> (7)
> Finally I would like to point out that having a <avatar/> tag with an
> xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/avatar' might not be the best
> solution. There will be other data blobs for other purposes. For
> example, there will probably be a new VCard. I can only speculate, but I
> guess the vcard will have a <vcard/> tag with a vcard namespace. It will
> have the same attributes (id, jid, node, type, url). The new VCard JEP
> can be generated by replacing "avatar" by "vcard". The same will happen
> to the next info blob. Looks a bit redundant to me. Maybe we could
> generalize now and let only the namespace differentiate without
> inventing a new tag name and a new XML schema each time.

A two tag names in different namespaces are two _different_ tag names,
even if the local name is the same. If you treat tag names independant
from namespace, then your XML namespace handling is probably broken
(what when a prefix is defined and used for the namespace?).

When we want to reuse a tag, than we should reuse its fully qualified
name: both local name and namespace. I don't think we need that here.

Greets,
	Jacek