[Standards-JIG] JEP-PubSub: open subscription model

Ralph Meijer jabber.org at ralphm.ik.nu
Wed Mar 30 14:52:53 UTC 2005

On Wed, Mar 30, 2005 at 09:40:33AM -0500, Bob Wyman wrote:
> Heiner Wolf wrote:
> > Proposal: JEP-0060: add a note that "get" without subscription is a
> > valid operation for "open" nodes.
> 	Jabber provides quite a number of mechanisms for handling
> "request-response" services. There is no need to define yet another way to
> fetch data. Additionally, I think it is particularly inappropriate to
> attempt to handle "get" as part of a pubsub protocol since the operations
> and interaction patterns are completely different at their cores.
> 	While the pubsub protocol should *not* be modified to support GET
> operations, there is no reason why an implemented service can't support both
> pubsub and get. Such a service would simply support both the JEP-0060 pubsub
> protocols as well as the GET protocols of some other extension.

Maybe this isn't clear from what Heiner wrote, but what he means is that the
feature described in JEP-0060, section 8.1.10 (Get Items for a Node) lifts the
requirement for checking if the requestor is a subscriber to the node in
question, for fetching an item in the node's persistent storage. For nodes that
are configured to not let the owner authorize subscription requests ('open'),
that is.

The context is that he wants to be able to fetch the latest published avatar
from a (discovered) occupants' pubsub avatar node (JEP-0084), while in a
groupchat room.

--
Groetjes,

ralphm