[Standards-JIG] UPDATED: JEP-0084 (User Avatars)

Rottenberg, Hal hal.rottenberg at hp.com
Wed Mar 30 15:25:04 UTC 2005

> > I would propose to change "MUST be between 32 and 64" in "6.1 Image
> > Requirements" to SHOULD. SHOULD is strong enough so that
> implementors
> > try to comply.
>
> I would also suggest upping that limit to 96 pixels which is
> how big MSN avatars are, this will help any transport
> developers and is also not an unreasonable size for an
> avatar, certainly if its a photograph.

I strongly second both of these proposed changes.  In fact, I would go
so far as to say that I've always considered 96px rather limiting.  It
seems that every forum and chat client uses a different resolution.  Why
not allow for multiple graphic files, with an attribute designating its
resolution and format so that a certain transport could know which
avatar it should send to a legacy client, or through feature
negotiation, to a jabber client?  Why not also allow for future ideas,
such as PNG or MNG or SVG or SWF avatars?  I'm not trying to start a
100-post XHTML-IM-like thread, just want to point out that we don't want
to aim too low.

-hal