[Standards-JIG] FW: Re: jep-0055

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Wed Mar 30 18:37:59 UTC 2005

FYI, a private communication that might be of interest...

----- Forwarded message from Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter at jabber.org> -----

From: Peter Saint-Andre
To: Ryan Graham
Subject: Re: jep-0055

On Tue, Mar 29, 2005 at 04:55:54PM -0700, Ryan Graham wrote:

> I'm looking for a bit of clarification on the JEP-0055, Jabber search.
> In the 2.1 searching use case there is no mention made to whether or
> not a client MUST/SHALL/SHOULD/etc discover what search search fields
> are required by the service. Is this discovery required? Any additional
> information you could provide me with would be greatly appreciated.

The old Jabber search protocol did not enable the searched entity to
specify required fields. In order to do that, it's best to use Data
Forms (JEP-0004) and just use <query xmlns='jabber:iq:search'> as a
wrapper for the x:data form.

Feel free to post to the Standards-JIG list with further questions so
that the answers can get into the public record.

Peter

----- End forwarded message -----