[Standards-JIG] Whose avatar?

Magnus Henoch mange at freemail.hu
Wed Mar 30 22:16:13 UTC 2005

I'm hacking avatars for my client, and I've come to the point where
I'm actually receiving avatar updates from the pubsub service.  That
brings up the question - how do I know whose avatar I'm receiving?

I could keep the mapping between JIDs and avatar pubsub nodes in
private XML storage, updating it as I subscribe to new avatars.  I
could send disco items requests to all contacts on connection.  Or the
pubsub service could support Extended Stanza Addressing, as section
11.8 of JEP-0060 suggests.  (It seems ejabberd's mod_pubsub doesn't
yet)

Using the latter approach, how would you avoid people setting others'
avatars to goatse or something equally unpleasant?

Magnus