[Standards-JIG] Open subscription GET <-> avatar data node

Heiner Wolf wolf at bluehands.de
Thu Mar 31 11:40:25 UTC 2005

Hi,

please see my postings "JEP-PubSub: open subscription model" and
"UPDATED: JEP-0084 (User Avatars)"

I was arguing for a subscribe-free GET for pubsub nodes with
"pubsub#subscription_model" = "open". In JEP-0084 I see a subscription
to the avatar metadata, then the GET. Once the client got the metadata,
it fetches the avatar data. But there is no subscription to the avatar
data node prior to the avatar data node item GET.

There shoould be a SUBSCRIBE to node='avatar/data/juliet at capulet.com'
before "Example 19. Data retrieval request". Like there is "Example 15.
Consumer subscribes to metadata node" before "Example 17. Retrieving the
avatar metadata" ?

But we don't really want to subscribe to metadata AND data nodes? But we
still want to feth the data. This is a hint, that subscription-less GETs
are desirable. I guess they might even be desirable in other cases than
"pubsub#subscription_model" = "open".

I know this goes to far for some people, but I would in JEP-0060:
- rename "pubsub#subscription_model" to "pubsub#access_model"
- allow for subscription-less GET and
- apply "whitelist", "authorize" and "blacklist" to GET as well.

hw
--
Dr. Klaus H. Wolf
bluehands GmbH & Co.mmunication KG