[Standards-JIG] reviving JEP-0038: Iconstyles

Hal Rottenberg halr9000 at gmail.com
Sun May 1 19:58:01 UTC 2005

All,

I want to see what it would take to revive JEP-0038: Iconstyles
(http://www.jabber.org/jeps/jep-0038.html).  By my count, at least 5
or 6 clients [1] now support this JEP as a client-side method by which
sets of emoticons (and other related things) can be packaged into a
single zip archive.

Please read the JEP, and comment on what you disagree with what is
currently there.  Off the top of my head, I saw a few things that will
need updating.  I'd like comments on that as well.  After getting a
few comments, I guess I'll take a hand at working up a new revision
and will submit it to our patron saint.

Something I'm unsure about is whether this should be an Informational
JEP describing something that is in current usage, or if it should go
forward as Standards track and be advanced to something more ideal if
there are many changes that people request.  Another option that I
like is to do both so that we can nail down the quite simple concept
of the file storage format, and address other stuff in another JEP or
a major revision.

Thanks for your help.

[1] Jabber clients that support jep-38:
- Psi