[Standards-JIG] reviving JEP-0038: Iconstyles

Trejkaz trejkaz at trypticon.org
Mon May 2 02:42:54 UTC 2005

Quoting Ian Paterson <ian.paterson at clientside.co.uk>:
> Hi Hal,
>
> Well done for reviving JEP-0038. I'd like to see a lot more smilies in
> the recommended Core Icons. Equally, I'm not sure if some of the
> "genicons" (like ":cake") enhance communication sufficiently to be part
> of the recommended list.
>
> Perhaps there should be two lists of icons. One Informational and the
> other Required?

I don't see any advantage in making certain emoticons "required" at all.  The
way I see it, it can only degrade functionality.

For instance, I might want to make an iconset with a single icon in it
for some
special purpose.  If ":-)" is "required" in the JEP, then I have to put it in
there to conform.  But good clients can enable multiple iconsets, so there is
no particular reason a single iconset would need to have every single icon
you'll ever encounter.

One thing I do worry about at present though, is that the precise regular
expressions matched by clients aren't in agreeance.

For instance, I have an emoticon set (the Ragnarok Online emoticons, if anyone
cares) where "/o" is mapped to an icon.  Some clients (e.g. Psi) replace the
"/o" in that with an icon, and some allegedly don't.  IMO it shouldn't be
replaced in this case, but not everyone would agree.

So to solve that, the JEP could either specify exactly what regular
expressions
are to be used at emoticon boundaries (in Perl format, or whatever format,
really.)  Or, it could specify a way for icon packs to specify regular
expressions in their own right.

Either solution would solve my only issue with that spec. :-)

TX