[Standards-JIG] LAST CALL: JEP-0106 (JID Escaping)

Richard Dobson richard at dobson-i.net
Mon May 2 16:09:57 UTC 2005

>>I have probably missed something, but I don't see how disco prevents
>>interaction problems in this case.
>>
> The idea is: if gateway's or server's JIDs use encoding, it should be
> advertised in its disco.
> This way all old transports' JIDs are not transformed in any way.

Exactly you beat me to it ;).

Also here are some quesions that need answering below so we can guage what
exactly if anything "could" get "broken".

1) how many clients are actually generating their own MSN transport JID's
anyway when registering?
2) And how many are using "jabber:iq:gateway"?
3) Also how many clients are actually taking any meaning from the MSN
transport JIDs (i.e. decoding them rather than just displaying the JID)?

Personally I havent seen any clients that do 3 and the clients ive tried out
in the past all seemed to use "jabber:iq:gateway" rather than trying to
generate their own JID's for transports.

Richard