[Standards-JIG] LAST CALL: JEP-0106 (JID Escaping)

Trejkaz trejkaz at trypticon.org
Wed May 4 01:04:25 UTC 2005

Quoting Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter at jabber.org>:

> So what is the big deal about special-casing for those 9 code points but
> converting them using #xx; rather than %xx?

Actually, my instant thought is, why "#xx;" instead of just "#xx"?  We're only
encoding nine characters, so it's not like we need to make way for more hex
digits.  The only reason for the ";" at the end of XML escapes is because you
can omit the zeroes from the front, and AFAIK we have no escapes which start
with zero anyway.

If it were simply "#xx" vs. "%xx", most people wouldn't actually care
because of
the reasons you stated (we'd be implementing our own escaping code
anyway.)  The
two seem equally readable to me, and the former definitely seems more
backwards
compatible so it should be a no-brainer.

TX