[Standards-JIG] LAST CALL: JEP-0106 (JID Escaping)

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Wed May 4 19:29:03 UTC 2005

On Wed, May 04, 2005 at 01:07:03PM -0500, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> On Wed, May 04, 2005 at 07:06:50PM +1000, Trejkaz wrote:
> > On Wed, 4 May 2005 18:22, Richard Dobson wrote:
> > > Except for the fact that using # will break things in just the same way as
> > > using % supposedly does (IRC transport), can someone here explain exactly
> > > what gets broken by using % rather than # as no reasons that cannot easily
> > > be overcome have yet been presented, I cannot see anything myself, if
> > > someone presents something convincing ill shut up, but until now its just
> > > been batted around "oh it will break stuff so we must not do it", but what
> > > exactly does it break??? Also it seems to have been conveniently ignored
> > > that using # will break the IRC transport in exactly the same way as %
> > > supposedly does.
> >
> > Which IRC transport does this?  The only one I've ever found live was
> > ejabberd's, which doesn't have this problem.
>
> Well, IRC channels begin with the # character. For example, to join the
> channel #debian on irc.debian.org via the IRC gateway at irc.jabber.org,
> you would type the following as a groupchat room in your Jabber client:
>
>   #debian%irc.debian.org at irc.jabber.org
>
> So if you were accustomed to joining a channel called #40;daysand40nights
> on irc.alladin.lit via irc.jabber.org, then it is within the realm of
> possibility that you might try to join that channel but actually be
> directed to some other channel, namely:
>
>   @daysand40nights%irc.alladin.lit at irc.example.com.

Furthermore, I don't see how anyone could confuse that for a real JID of
any kind because you can't start a JID with the at sign -- a JID must
have some character before the at sign (similar for email, etc.). So I
don't see that IRC channels accessed through an IRC gateway would be a
problem. Thus I don't see a reason not to use #xx; (or #xx if you must)
to escape our disallowed characters.

I still need to investigate what would happen if you try to transform
an escaped JID into a URI/IRI (e.g., the semi-colon must be escaped in
URIs).