[Standards-JIG] LAST CALL: JEP-0106 (JID Escaping)

Trejkaz trejkaz at trypticon.org
Thu May 5 07:25:15 UTC 2005

Quoting Jacek Konieczny <jajcus at bnet.pl>:
> IRC channel names may start with something else than '#' and using
> full channel names (with '#') allows us to use the same JID namespace
> for IRC nicknames -- that is how JJIGW works.
> ("#pld at ircnet.jabber.bnet.pl" is a channel in the IRCNet, and
> "jajcus at ircnet.jabber.bnet.pl" is a user logged into that network with
> "jajcus" nickname).

Yeah, I was actually wondering a while back whether an IRC transport would use
usernames in the node portion of the JID.  Because obviously MUC does not, and
I was thinking that an IRC transport would have to follow MUC conventions to
some degree.

(That is, jajcus at ircnet.jabber.bnet.pl -> room at ircnet.jabber.bnet.pl/jajcus)

TX