[Standards-JIG] LAST CALL: JEP-0106 (JID Escaping)

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Thu May 5 17:33:47 UTC 2005

On Wed, May 04, 2005 at 02:13:21PM -0700, JD Conley wrote:
> Don't forget LDAP attributes/DN's if you're writing the transformation informational JEP.  :)  They also allow some of our forbidden characters.

Well, I notice in RFC 2253 ("Lightweight Directory Access Protocol (v3):
UTF-8 String Representation of Distinguished Names") that the backslash
character is used to escape disallowed characters in LDAP:

   The character to be escaped is replaced by a backslash and
   two hex digits, which form a single byte in the code of the
   character. (Section 2.4)

Here is an example from Section 5:

   Finally, an example of an RDN surname value consisting of 5 letters:

   Unicode Letter Description      10646 code UTF-8  Quoted
   =============================== ========== ====== =======
   LATIN CAPITAL LETTER L          U0000004C  0x4C   L
   LATIN SMALL LETTER U            U00000075  0x75   u
   LATIN SMALL LETTER C WITH CARON U0000010D  0xC48D \C4\8D
   LATIN SMALL LETTER I            U00000069  0x69   i
   LATIN SMALL LETTER C WITH ACUTE U00000107  0xC487 \C4\87

   Could be written in printable ASCII (useful for debugging purposes):

   SN=Lu\C4\8Di\C4\87

So using \xx for our nine disallowed characters in JIDs would be
consistent with that.

/psa