[Standards-JIG] LAST CALL: JEP-0106 (JID Escaping)

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Thu May 5 20:33:03 UTC 2005

On Thu, May 05, 2005 at 07:10:31PM +0100, Richard Dobson wrote:
> >  Could be written in printable ASCII (useful for debugging purposes):
> >
> >  SN=Lu\C4\8Di\C4\87
> >
> >So using \xx for our nine disallowed characters in JIDs would be
> >consistent with that.
>
> I would be fine with using \xx rather than #xx; since it would solve the
> IRC transport problems, and as for the protocol cleanliness side of things
> at least it is based on an existing standard.

It is, at least, quite similar to an existing standard -- if you look
at RFC 2253, you will notice that it specifies a different escaping
mechanism for the characters , + " \ < > ; (i.e., precede them with a
backslash but do not convert them to hexhex, so that in JIDs we would
escape < as \3c but in LDAP distinguished names that character would
be escaped as \< -- which, if converted into a JID a la Sametime, would
end up as \\3c I suppose, unless it was first decoded to < and then
escaped via JEP-0106 to \3c, which seems preferable as I will discuss
in the forthcoming address transformation JEP).

/psa