[Standards-JIG] reviving JEP-0038: Iconstyles

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Wed May 11 18:16:04 UTC 2005

On Sun, May 01, 2005 at 03:58:01PM -0400, Hal Rottenberg wrote:

> I want to see what it would take to revive JEP-0038: Iconstyles
> (http://www.jabber.org/jeps/jep-0038.html).

Thanks, Hal -- I'm happy to work with anyone who wants to take over
authorship of this JEP, since the original author as disappeared.

> Please read the JEP, and comment on what you disagree with what is
> currently there.

1. Remove the dependency on jabber:iq:browse
2. Some of the XML elements are not as clearly specified as I'd like
3. The conformance language needs to be tightened up
4. Regexes would be a good addition
5. The JEP needs a real security considerations section
6. I need to investigate the IANA stuff with Sebastiaan
7. The "extended" use of xml:lang worries me (and is unclear)

> Something I'm unsure about is whether this should be an Informational
> JEP describing something that is in current usage, or if it should go
> forward as Standards track and be advanced to something more ideal if
> there are many changes that people request.

I lean towards Standards Track but want to think about it some more.

> Another option that I
> like is to do both so that we can nail down the quite simple concept
> of the file storage format, and address other stuff in another JEP or
> a major revision.

We of course could establish a registry of icons so that the JEP doesn't
need to be updated every time someone thinks up a cool new icon. That
seems best to me.

/psa