[Standards-JIG] JEP-4 - Search result with multiple values

Gaston Dombiak gaston at jivesoftware.com
Wed May 11 19:09:49 UTC 2005

Hey all,

Reading JEP-4 I cannot figure out whether it is valid or not to include many
values in a field that is part of an item element. Let me give you an
example to clarify what I'm asking here. :)

    <x xmlns="jabber:x:data" type="result">
      <reported>
        <field var="startDate" type="text-single"/>
        <field var="agentJIDs" type="jid-multi"/>
      </reported>
      <item>
        <field var="startDate">
          <value>20050510T21:15:53</value>
        </field>
        <field var="agentJIDs">
          <value>admin at localhost</value>
          <value>demo at localhost</value>
        </field>
      </item>
    </x>

So my question is: Is the last field element valid? I was not able to find
any mention saying that this is forbidden neither that it is allowed. I
assume that it is valid since the XML Schema allows to have many values in a
field.

BTW, since it is possible to have a huge result as part of a search I think
that it would be nice to have a section explaining how to implement a paging
solution. Maybe adding something along the lines of  the "sid" and "seq"
attributes used in JEP-0047: In-Band Bytestreams (IBB).

Thanks,

  -- Gato