[Standards-JIG] LAST CALL: JEP-0117 (Intermediate IM Protocol Suite)

Peter Millard pgmillard at gmail.com
Fri May 13 21:25:14 UTC 2005

On 5/12/05, Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter at jabber.org> wrote:
> Several issues arose in today's Jabber Council meeting regarding this
> JEP, specifically: which parts of JEP-0045 shall we require? There are
> several options:
> 1. Require occupant use cases and creating an instant room (this is
>    what the JEP specifies right now).
> 2. Require occupant use cases and all room creation / configuration
>    use cases (not just instant room, but full room config).
> 3. Require occupant use cases, all room creation / configuration
>    use cases, and the room destruction use case.
> 4. Require all of JEP-0045 (including all owner+admin use cases).

I think option (3) makes the most sense given the implementations I've
seen so far. For example, the mu-c application as well as commercial
implementations have a number of room config options that it makes the
most sense to allow users to deal with them. The most common argument
I've heard for NOT doing room config is that it is hard to make a
decent x-data rendering engine. While I agree, that it is difficult,
I'd say that the non "basic" IM suite can/may/should include some more
advanced jabber features, and x-data is definitely something that can
be used a lot in a good client.

Clearly, if a user can create a room with a client, it MUST be able to
destroy the same room. Anything else doesn't make sense (and is an
abuse of system resources IMO).

pgm.