[Standards-JIG] Re: JEP-4 - Search result with multiple values

Gaston Dombiak gaston at jivesoftware.com
Fri May 13 22:59:27 UTC 2005

Hey Peter,

Thanks for your answer. I may not be understanding your answer :) but my
question was about having many <value> elements in a <field> that is part of
an <item>. In the example that I presented you can see that the <item>
contains all the fields defined in the <reported> section. However, notice
that the second field in the reported section is of type jid-multi so in the
<item> element I'm including 2 values in the second field. Is this correct?

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

  -- Gato

"Peter Millard" <pgmillard at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:cfd3c4d10505131419369ee461 at mail.gmail.com...
On 5/11/05, Gaston Dombiak <gaston at jivesoftware.com> wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> Reading JEP-4 I cannot figure out whether it is valid or not to include
> many
> values in a field that is part of an item element. Let me give you an
> example to clarify what I'm asking here. :)
>
>     <x xmlns="jabber:x:data" type="result">
>       <reported>
>         <field var="startDate" type="text-single"/>
>         <field var="agentJIDs" type="jid-multi"/>
>       </reported>
>       <item>
>         <field var="startDate">
>           <value>20050510T21:15:53</value>
>         </field>
>         <field var="agentJIDs">
>           <value>admin at localhost</value>
>           <value>demo at localhost</value>
>         </field>
>       </item>
>     </x>
>
> So my question is: Is the last field element valid?

No. Re-read section 3.4.. it says:

Each <item/> element defines one item in the result set, and MUST
contain each field specified in the <reported/> element (although the
XML character data of the <value/> element MAY be null).

So every item element MUST contain the same fields as described inthe
reported block.

pgm.