[Standards-JIG] VoIP revisited

Hal Rottenberg halr9000 at gmail.com
Sat May 14 13:46:39 UTC 2005

> > 3) Have a push to talk style mechanism where you just record wav or mp3 etc

> Regarding the 3) protocol (just record and send mp3, etc), I don't think the
> delay is acceptable in this way. I'm not experience in videoconference
> implementation, but I've read that the subject is far more complicated, and
> you need to take lot of things into consideration to get an acceptable delay.

It's just a matter of a different audience.  Some will use PTT and
some will prefer live streaming.  I personally don't understand the
attraction for PTT, but anyone in the U.S. can tell you that several
nationwide mobile phone carriers apparently have a lot of demand for
it.

The delay in a PTT conversation is understood to have latency.  The
conversation will be different than a typical async conversation.  The
messages (sentences) in PTT conversations are shorter, as are the
conversations themselves.  e.g.:

Hal: Hey Cesar! ¿Cómo se dice 'large monkey' en español?
Cesar: mono grande
Hal: Ahh, great, thanks!  talk to ya later!

If there are 3 or 10 or 30 seconds between each of these messages, it
doesn't really matter much in the context of a PTT conversation.

Also a big difference is that the users would probably enable PTT once
(per contact if you have the ability in the client) and from that
point incoming audio messages would be played upon receipt
automatically.

--
Psi webmaster (http://psi-im.org)
im:hal at jabber.rocks.cc